RadonPosterContestMaddie Kogelis, a Washington Community High School student won first place in a national video contest spreading awareness about the dangers of radon.

The contest is sponsored each year by the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and the American Lung Association in Illinois.

Kogelis, a Washington, Illinois resident, finished first in the state contest and her 60-second video was then entered into the national contest, where she took home the prize. Her video shows creativity and demonstrates the importance of testing your home for radioactive gases like radon that are known to cause lung cancer.

Kogelis will receive a $1,000 prize for her first place win. Her video can be viewed here.

Radon is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is deadly and often goes unnoticed in homes. It can enter homes and buildings through small cracks in the foundation or soil in crawlspaces. In Illinois, about 1,200 people die each year due to radon-related lung cancer.

IEMA and the American Lung Association in Illinois are currently taking submissions for the 2018 state radon poster and video contest. Information about the contest is available here and the deadline to enter is March 1.

facebooktwitteryoutube